Hello. Bonjour. Hola. Chao Readers!
Chances are if you know me in real life, it’s likely you know a few of the quirky realities and paradoxes of my life. To be honest it feels a little strange to write about myself. I never been a fan of public speaking and self-promotion never came naturally to me. But I felt that after 26 years of life this would be a perfect way to launch my travel blog and introduce the quirky, wanderlust Sarah Fay. Hopefully you find some bits entertaining and maybe you will be scared off, but I decided to not be afraid to share my life and adventures with other travelers via my blog (a fear that plagued me for some time). So here we go!
- The idea of me starting a travel blog actually freaks me out, but I feel this will be a creative outlet that will continue to inspire me to travel and serve as a helpful resource for other female solo travelers.
- I am addicted to Netflix and can binge watch an entire season in one go. Its’ a problem. I currently just finished Ozark, American Vandal, and Cable Girls. It doesn’t matter how bad the show, but I need to finish it.
- No matter how much I travel, I have to fight the urge to overpack. I have learnt nevertheless to fit outfits for a week in a Ryanair sized carry on (which is a feat). Packing a carry on is akin to a game of Tetris for me!
- I was such a nerd in middle school and high school, but also a jock. Talk about a paradox. Volleyball/Basketball camps and Math/Science camps were my jam.
- I grew up voraciously devouring the Harry Potter books and movies, and I have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando more times than I can count. Also, I grew up going to midnight parties to celebrate the release of the new books at my local bookstore. #NerdAlert
- One thing on my travel bucket list is to go to Harry Potter Studios in London.
- I have been to 40 countries and I am afraid of flying. I had been in a horrible thunderstorm during take off once and I was sure it was the end. Now the slightest sign of turbulence freaks me out. I learnt to stay calm, so don’t worry if you sit next to me on a flight!
- Bull in a China closet is how my mom describes me, since I seem to be such a Klutz. Last week I broke a $30 wine glass at a fancy furniture store.
- I can beat you on the boards! When I am not banking it off the backboard shooting baskets, I will beat you on a chess board. I went to the World Chess Open and was ranked as one of the top chess players under 16.
- When I was younger my mom would send me into hotels to get the best rate and use my cuteness to win over the front desk clerk.
- I graduated from Dartmouth College with a B.A. in Government with a focus in Comparative Politics and I also studied Religion at the University of Edinburgh.
- I have lived and traveled in Europe over the past 3 years and I only have a few more countries to visit before I have seen the whole continent! My goal is to complete that by the time I am 30.
- My mom and I drove around the entire USA for 2.5 months one summer when I was 13. At first, I didn’t want to go, but now I have some of the best memories with her from that trip.
- Puffins are my favorite bird. I am obsessed with them and I keep missing the season to see them in their natural habitat.
- I love dogs and I have always wanted one, but since I am always on the road it seems like it is not the time in my life for that.
- My parents met at Disney World’s Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs). My dad came to the USA from Casablanca, Morocco to work for Epcot and they met on a revolving dance floor. That is why I have a constant tan!
- Growing up in Orlando has perks! Like being a shopper’s paradise. Both Orlando’s Prime and Premium Outlets boast over 160- 180 designer brand outlet stores. Also, as a Florida Resident I have always been allowed to get Florida resident rates for all Theme Parks and Water Parks. Not to mention being only an hour away from some of the most pristine beaches in the world!
- I cannot resist the urge to enter a contest, giveaway, or competition. This is a blessing in disguise as I have won concert tickets, music festival tickets, and a meet and greet with Tiesto!
- My reading list compromises the U.S. State Departments recommended reading to study for the Foreign Service exam.
- I have been on the cover of the Washington Post since I got up on stage to take a selfie with the Presidential Debate candidates.
- My mom is my most important person in my life right now. Even when on the road I call her up almost daily. Technology has made it so easy to stay in touch with loved ones these days!
- Not to say she doesn’t get on my nerves. Currently she has started a collage of me falling asleep in front of famous monuments or museums. Notable places include: The Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and Edinburgh Castle.
- When traveling I do not like staying in a place for only 2 days and will stay at least 4 days. I really want to see the place, meet the people, taste the food, and also the local drinks!
- The Florida girl in me loves the beach, but I am deathly afraid of sharks. I still go in; however, I am always on the lookout. To face my fear one day, I would like to check off cage diving with sharks off my bucket list.
- One summer I canoed the Vltava River through Czech Republic and camped for a few weeks. It was an amazing experience. I went with the Dartmouth Canoe Club and it was mostly paid for by my University. Going to school in the mountains of New Hampshire, from growing up in flat Florida gave me an appreciation for the outdoors and camping that I don’t know I would have today if I did not decide to go to Dartmouth.
- My pet peeve is getting asked the question “What is my favorite country I have visited?”. I have been to 40 countries and numerous regions in many of them, so I have an appreciation and love of them all for different reasons. Thus, I cannot choose.
Well that was eye-opening… I hope? (Or boring depending on your P.O.V) I just hope you have gotten to know me a little bit more! It is really exciting to start something new and I decided to create this space as a place to share my adventures, both past and present. If you stayed with me to this point, your awesome and I cannot wait to delve into my thoughts and travel tips in the future. Thanks for being a boss and sticking with me!