Here are a few fun and productive things to do at home alone to let keep your mind and body happy this quarantine. Let your mind wander to satiate your traveling spirit during Covid-19 and your body stay fit for your next adventure!
I love going out, being social, and traveling, but the current state of the world means we have to stay home in order to flatten the curve and come out on top of Coronavirus. But I would be lying if I said it was easy, or I liked it.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) means global travel bans for the foreseeable future, stay-at-home orders, and forced isolation. It feels really WEIRD. One day I was in Ecuador having the time of my life, the next I flew home to avoid the travel ban to Orlando, Florida.
Orlando had 75 million out-of-state visitors in 2019. Seeing my city completely empty, Disney World and all the theme parks and attractions closed, and not really be able to enjoy the beautiful weather is hard when you are forced to be stuck at home.
But don’t worry wanderlust souls there are many ways to continue enjoying the outside world in your own home! Here are some fun things to do at home alone that will make you feel at least somewhat productive.
10 Things to Do to satiate your wanderlust at home
- Take a virtual tour. Many museums are and places are offering virtual tours for free.
- Binge on wanderlust movies that will inspire you to continue to stay inside in order to one day be able to explore the world with your loved ones.
- Learn a new Language for that next backpacking trip or vacation.
- Complete a puzzle of a place on your bucket list. Cinque Terre, the Eiffel tower, there are puzzles of some of the best places to travel in the world. This will keep your mind busy!
- Cook a cultural themed feast. Just because you cannot travel doesn’t mean your taste buds cannot.
- Sort through your travel photos. Start a blog. I love being able to write about the places I visited and see others stories through their writing and blogs.
- Go to the museum with a free virtual tour. Also, Google Arts and Culture has many museums offering virtual reality tours. My personal favorites are the Guggenheim Museum in NYC, and the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
- Don’t miss the opera! The Metropolitan Opera and the Opera de Paris is offering FREE streaming of most of its’ 2020 Opera season. This is a treat as most of these performances are often sold out or very expensive!
- Google Earth is amazing! They have 30 UNESCO World Heritage Sites ready to explore at your fingertips. From Stonehenge to the Taj Mahal, you can transport yourself to the other side of the world from your couch.
- Audible is offering many free stories read by some of your favorite actors for FREE. So, you can literally travel through your imagination to another world.
5 Things to do to keep you mind and body happy
1. GET OUTDOORS! While staying inside is very important during the time of COVID, it is also important to get some fresh air with social distancing. Meditate in the fresh air and relax.
2. Try a new bike trail or take a hike. If all else fails set a reminder on your phone to take a walk or jog around the neighborhood.
3. Always want to try a new work out class? Well now you can from the privacy of your own backyard or living room. From barre work out classes, to Zumba many group exercise classes have moved online. This means you don’t have any excuses of looking silly!
4. Run a virtual marathon! The San Francisco Marathon has developed a virtual marathon that participants can take the challenge on virtually!
5. Take online courses with Udemy, or Coursera. Or check out your library’s website for online resources. The Orange County Library in Orlando, Florida offers free Lynda.com courses where you can even get certificates for completing courses! Also, they offer free language courses online through Mango Languages.
Keep dreaming with fun things to do at home.
Maybe this is the Florida girl in me, but I believe Walt Disney hit the hammer on the nail when he said “Don’t let your fears take the place of your dreams.” It is easy to get sucked into watching the news constantly when you are at home, but we cannot let fear creep in. I want to stay informed, but I don’t want to lose sight of my dreams.
“Don’t let your fears take the place of your dreams.”Walt Disney
This is an odd time for sure. It almost feels like we are in the middle of a dystopian novel. But I refuse to let that stop my wanderlust soul that wants to experience the world and share it. This is the time to do nothing if that’s what you need. Learn a language if that’s what you want. And do whatever you have to do in order to get through these trying times. This my list of fun things to do at home alone. But there are probably an infinite amount of possibilities. Got ideas? Please share them with me below in the comments.